The International Organization for Migration hiring Project Assistant (ARMP).
Job description :
Special Vacancy Announcement SVN-CO-002-2021
This offer is Open to both internal and external candidates.
Position Title : Project Assistant
Duty Station : Dakar, (Senegal)
Category : General Staff Grade G5
Type of appointment : Special Short Term (Possibility of extension)
Closing date : February 1st, 2021
Estimate start date : As soon as possible
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and nongovernmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all.
It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment.
Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged.
For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates
In the framework of the “Africa Regional Migration Programme” (ARMP) in West Africa, funded by the United States Department of State Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration (PRM), and implemented by IOM from October 2020 until September 2021, IOM Senegal is looking for a Project Assistant (West Africa Region).
The ARMP aims at supporting target countries to strengthen and promote well-managed migration, and to reduce migrants’ vulnerability.
The program supports building the capacity of governments that are committed to improving migration management through policy, while also increasing coordination with relevant stakeholders, such as other governments, United Nations (UN) agencies, civil society institutions, regional economic commissions and consultative processes, the private sector and recruitment agencies.
To do this, the ARMP implements activities in pursuit of three pillars: 1) Migration Management;
3) Crisis Response.
The program benefits governments in 20 countries in Africa, including five countries (The Gambia, Mauritania, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Togo) in West Africa.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, and the direct supervision of the Programme Officer (West Africa Region), the Project
Assistant will be required to:
- Assist the Programme Officer in the overall implementation of the ARMP in West - Africa, in coordination with the five national focal points (one for each implementing country) and the relevant experts in the missions and/or the Regional Office;
- Assist the Programme Officer and the Monitoring and Reporting Officer in compiling the relevant information for the project quarterly reports, by ensuring regular liaison with the national focal points in West Africa, and in coordination with the Reporting - Officer of the ARMP (IOM Pretoria);
- Coordinate and provide logistical support (including remote support to the implementing countries) in order to ensure the smooth organization of internal and external meetings, workshops and trainings conducted under the different components of the project;
- Attend meetings, conferences and workshops with national or regional stakeholders and partners as requested, and ensure timely information-sharing on these events;
- Support visibility and communication of the project activities and events, in coordination with the national focal points and in line with IOM’s standards and in full compliance with the donor’s requirements;
- Assist with the administrative and accounting tasks related to the project implementation, by collecting proper documentation, filing, handling and archiving project documents in a timely manner;
- Make recommendations to improve filing and documentation;
- Carry out field visits in the project’s implementing countries, based on the needs and gaps identified by the Programme Officer and the national focal points;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required qualifications and experiences :
Education & Experience :
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in Social or Political Sciences, Development, - Economics, or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with 3 years of relevant professional experience,
- High School Degree with minimum 5 years of relevant professional experience
- At least two-year experience in providing assistance to implement complex projects;
- Experience in migration-related programming, labor migration and/or protection of vulnerable migrants in West Africa is an advantage;
- Experience in the UN system or in International Organizations is an advantage;
- Extensive experience in organizing events, workshops, meetings;
High level of computer literacy and good knowledge of the MS Office applications;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and French.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighboring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighboring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via e-mail referring to this advertisement in the subject: “SVN-CO-002-2021 and complete name”.
Application must contain a CV, a cover letter in a unique file, as well as the contact details of three professional references.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.