British Embassy Dakar hiring Political Officer.
Main purpose of job:
• Monitor and analyse developments in Senegal, Cape Verde and Guinea Bissau in the areas of democracy, good governance, international relations, internal security, human rights, civil society, and religion;
• Prepare briefs, background papers, short-term research projects and longer-term in-depth research studies on a range of issues;
• Advise the Ambassador and the Head of Political Team and contribute to the development of policy by way of advice and recommendations;
• Develop expertise on topic areas that are important to the British Embassy;
• Participate in seminars on relevant issues organised by various institutions in both government and non-government sectors;
• Represent the Embassy at external meetings and events as required;
• Assist in arrangements for meetings and visits of VIPs and other high-level representatives on matters covered by the embassy, including the preparation, editing and co-ordination of documentation for such meetings, as well as preparation of minutes;
• Manage embassy programme funds.
• Knowledge of the Senegalese political system;
• Excellent analytical abilities: sound judgment and the ability to scan the political context and gather information from a range of sources to identify salient developments, remaining above party politics;
• Excellent networking skills, an ability to develop and maintain contacts across a wide range of sectors, and strong influencing / persuasion skills;
• Positive, proactive attitude and ability to work both independently and in teams, and to create professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people both internally and externally;
• Excellent communication skills both written and oral to a wide range of stakeholders at all levels.
• Strong IT skills, particularly Outlook, Word and Excel.
• A very good level of both French and English is required