Learning, Research, and Information Management Cos
16 Oct 2020
23 Oct 2020
Duty Station: Dakar, Senegal (Regional Office for West and Central Africa). Possibility of remote work.
Contract type: Consultancy
Contract start date: 1 November 2020
*Contract length: 5 months***CONTEXT**
IOM is implementing a cross-regional programme across 10 countries in West Africa and North Africa. The programme is route-based and designed to support migrants along their routes and in their countries of origin. Its overall aim is to protect migrants from harm and to generate knowledge on migration along the Central Mediterranean Route (CMR).
The programme has four main outcomes:
1) Migrants and refugees in vulnerable situations at key points along the CMR are better protected from harm (including protection support and information campaigns);
2) Increased access to solutions, including reintegration initiatives and strengthened protection systems, that meet migrants’ needs in origin and transit countries;
3) Key actors have greater understanding of who moves and where they move as well as migrant vulnerabilities and protection concerns along the journey, and use this information to make migrant journeys safer;
4) Programme contributes to the evidence base on migrant decision-making (regular and irregular) and the influence that interventions may have on this.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Officer and overall supervision of the Program Coordinator, the consultant will conduct learning and knowledge management activities for the Department for International Development (DFID) funded “Safety, support and Solutions in the Central Mediterranean (SSS CMR)” programme (Outcomes 1-4). The incumbent will support project learning by analyzing research outputs, project data and program team feedback and developing relevant learning content for dissemination. Content may include short reports, summary documents, 1 pagers, factsheets, lesson learned notes, presentations and visual communication materials. The consultant will work closely with the Communication & Engagement Officer to identify relevant research/program content for dissemination through various media channels.
TASKS TO BE PERFORMED UNDER THIS CONTRACT
· Create a workplan with clear timelines for rolling out of the activities
· Coordinate with the Regional Office communications team and maintain fluid channels of communication with the country Grants Managers (Senegal, Guinea and The Gambia), country Comms teams and the Regional Communication & Engagement Officer
· Liaise with the research partner to identify learning content and opportunities for dissemination
· Analyze and synthesize research findings (policy papers, reports) and curate accessible content (using both traditional and creative/visual methods)
· Identify opportunities to use storytelling and data visualization (working with consultants) to translate research findings/project results into digestible learning products
· Leverage opportunities to disseminate findings and ensure the integration of learning into all aspects of implementation and reporting to stakeholders
· Coordinate learning and knowledge management efforts, in close coordination with relevant IOM staff (the Regional Office Communications team, M&E officers, country offices and field missions, etc.) to support cross project/program collaboration and learning
· Facilitate engaging learning events and workshops, develop visual presentations and curate content that engage participants and encourage the uptake of project results/research
· Utilize a strong network in the region to identify opportunities to disseminate research findings
Fluency in French and in English is required.
University or college degree in Journalism, Communications, Information Management, Research Methods, Political or Social sciences, International Relations, or a related field from an accredited academic institution.
· At least three years of relevant professional experience
· Experience translating research/project findings into visual and/or accessible materials
· Experience in a learning, communications, information management and/or knowledge management role
· Excellent presentation and facilitation skills (online experience an advantage)
· Experience in data visualization and/or data analysis an advantage
· Previous experience designing creative and engaging events is an advantage
· Experience working with a variety of stakeholders (academics, artists, UN agencies/Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs), etc.)
· Strong writing and analytical skills
· Experience working in the development/humanitarian context with an understanding of various types of programming