International Expert on Anti-Money Laundering for Identifying Suspicious Clients and Activities
Location : Home Based
Application Deadline : 19-Oct-20 (Midnight New York, USA)
Additional Category : Democratic Governance and Peacebuilding
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : International Consultant
Languages Required : English
Starting Date :
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 02-Nov-2020
Duration of Initial Contract : 02 November 2020 - 30 March 2021 (18 working days during this period)
Expected Duration of Assignment : 02 November 2020 - 30 March 2021 (18 working days during this period)
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The project Support to Anti-Corruption Efforts in Kosovo (SAEK III) is expected to have a positive impact on reducing the level of corruption in Kosovo by strengthening monitoring and oversight mechanisms of institutions to perform in an efficient, transparent, accountable, and gender sensitive manner.
Kosovo’s anti – corruption institutions, in particular corruption suppression bodies such as prosecution services, law enforcement agencies and the Financial Intelligence Unit, would benefit from increased capacities to detect, investigate and prosecute corruption offenses. The FIU relies on private sector reporting entities’ Suspicious Transaction Reports (STRs) and Suspicious Activity Reports (SARS) to fulfil its mandate of gathering information on cases of money laundering and terrorist financing.
The project provides support to the Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU) through activities pertaining to money laundering and counter financing of terrorism (AML/CFT) and corruption offenses, through sectoral risk assessments, capacity building and drafting of typologies. In 2014, the Kosovo FIU published a Typologies of Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing report. Since this time, the Law on AML/CFT has been amended to include provisions on monitoring domestic Politically Exposed Persons (PEPs), which is in accordance with the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) recommendations. In 2018-2019 UNDP supported Kosovo’s FIU in drafting a Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing National Risk Assessment through the work of an inter-institutional working group, interviews and questionnaires to reporting entities and public sector authorities. As a follow-up to the National Risk Assessment, UNDP seeks to support the building of capacities of private sector money laundering and terrorist financing reporting entities, the FIU, law enforcement and supervisory authorities to improve their ability to uncover beneficial ownership and the misuse of legal instruments for money laundering. The expert will be tasked with delivering a workshop for notaries, banks, the cadastral office for real estate registers, the FIU, police, prosecution, central bank on understanding beneficial ownership beyond direct ownership of 25% or more shares in a company; how legal instruments in foreign and domestic jurisdictions can be misused for money laundering; and how to access and share data on beneficial ownership among local enforcement bodies and foreign jurisdictions for cases with international elements.
Objectives of Assignment
To build the capacities of anti-money laundering authorities and private sector reporting entities to detect and prevent money laundering cases by proactively identifying suspicious clients and activities
Duties and Responsibilities
The international expert, under the direct supervision of the Project Manager will deliver the following:
• Conduct a review of primary and secondary legislation, and Kosovo's National Risk Assessments;
• Produce an analytical report on the latest trends in identifying and sharing data on beneficial ownership and the use of legal instruments in Europe and relevant jurisdictions with whom the Kosovo FIU cooperates on anti-money laundering;
• Conduct trainings for the FIU, police, prosecution, notaries, cadastral office, banks on identifying suspicious clients and activities, handling Politically Exposed Persons (PEPs) clients, identifying beneficial ownership and the use of legal instruments.
Expected Outputs and Deliverables
• Review legislation, Kosovo’s NRAs, and background documents (2 working days)
• Draft an analytical report on the latest trends in beneficial ownership and the use of legal instruments in jurisdictions relevant to Kosovo’s anti-money laundering regime (10 working days)
• Conduct webinar trainings for the FIU, law enforcement, private sector reporting entities on handling PEPs as clients and identifying suspicious clients and activities (2 working days)
• Conduct webinar trainings for the FIU, law enforcement, private sector reporting entities on beneficial ownership (2 working days)
• Conduct webinar trainings for the FIU, law enforcement, private sector reporting entities on trends in the use of legal instruments for money laundering (2 working days)
Remuneration - Lump Sum Amount
The Contract is based on lump sum remuneration and shall be processed subject to submission of a certificate of payment and IC timesheet indicating the worked days and will be cleared for the payment by the UNDP supervisor.
Required Presentation of Offer:
• Personal CV and P11, indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Offeror and at least three (3) professional references;
• Brief description of why the individual considers him/herself as the most suitable for the assignment
• Technical proposal, a max. 2-page document briefly outlining the methodology envisaged for the assignment for delivering the expected results within the indicated timeframe
• Financial Proposal that indicates professional daily fee including total amount for whole duration of the assignment.
• Copy of Diplomas and copy of Passport
Criteria for selection of the Best Offer
Offers will be evaluated utilizing a combined Scoring method – where the qualifications and technical proposal will be weighted a max. of 70% and combined with the price offer which will be weighted a max of 30.
• Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
• Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UNDP
• Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
• Treats all people fairly without favoritism
• Plans, prioritizes, and delivers tasks on time.
• Ability to work independently and takes initiative in addressing problems encountered.
• Ability to establish effective working relations in a multicultural team environment; supports effective and efficient team work.
• Result oriented and constructive attitude.
• Analytical and strategic thinking / results oriented;
• Ability to design and manage coordination processes, including with multiple stakeholders;
• Good knowledge of organizational policies and procedures related to the position and ability to apply them consistently in work tasks;
• Good knowledge of information technology and ability to apply it in work assignments;
• Good interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
• Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others.
Required Skills and Experience
• Bachelor’s level degree in economics, finance, law or degree from a law enforcement academy.
• At least 10 years of experience on anti-money laundering in a Financial Intelligence Unit, central bank (or other supervisory authority), law enforcement agency, judiciary, private legal practice, the private sector or international organization.
• Proven experience on anti-money laundering involving beneficial ownership and legal instruments;
• Familiarity with FATF, the Egmont Group, Moneyval and international anti-money laundering standards;
• Demonstrated experience in drafting analytical reports;
• Demonstrated experience in delivering trainings on beneficial ownership and legal instruments;
• Previous experience in Europe or the region desirable.
• Fluency in both oral and written English.