Deputy Country Director
Thies, Thiès Region, Senegal | Operations | Full-time
Deputy Country Director
Location: Thies, Senegal
Report to: Country Director
Language Requirement: English and French fluency
Start Date: Immediately
myAgro is an award-winning non-profit social enterprise based in West Africa. We have pioneered a mobile savings model that allows farmers to invest their own funds in high-quality seed, fertilizer, and agricultural training to increase their harvest and income by 50-100%. Our North Star is to help 1 million farmers increase their incomes by $1.50 per day by 2025 and lift themselves out of poverty. Learn more from myAgro’s founder and CEO?here.
About the candidate
Our ideal candidate is probably currently working in a large NGO or intergovernmental aid agency managing operations. From their position, she or he has managed one or more functions at country-level (e.g. Finance, Operations, Logistics etc.) and has a deep understanding of cross-functional planning and implementation.
From this experience, he or she can help myAgro deliver high quality operations on the ground every day, while simultaneously planning and monitoring multiple workstreams of activity.
The ideal candidate does not have to be an expert in agriculture or ag finance, but does have experience in the social sector and in country operations. They need to be agile and collaborative with demonstrated experience in execution and an eye for detail.
Finally, he or she can demonstrate that they can work and thrive in a multicultural and international environment.
About the role
myAgro is seeking a dynamic, engaging and skilled Deputy Country Director (DCD). The DCD will have delegated responsibility from the Country Director to own the management of the following functions at Country level:
• Product, IT
• Procurement & Logistics
The DCD will be responsible for overseeing the operations of these functions and aligning their work closely with the overall Country objectives, as well as with other teams in-country like HR, Sales and Agriculture.
The DCD will be accountable for leading the planning and management of significant budgets and complex financial processes, as well as for our mission critical work in procuring and delivering seeds and fertilizers to our farmers ahead of season.
The DCD will also support the Country Director as required in overseeing and managing country processes and operations in HR, Sales and Agriculture.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Country Director:
• Directly supervise and oversee staff in finance, product/IT, procurement & logistics and admin to -
• execute processes and the calendar of activities within each of these functions and thereby support overall Country objectives.
• align with HR, Sales, and Agriculture to manage risks, improve outcomes and deliver JOYOUS customer service to our farmers.
• Define and execute clear, short and mid term improvements to the efficiency of Finance, Logistics, and Admin operations in-country.
• Delegate responsibly and effectively to ensure the most efficient implementation of a complex portfolio of activities.
• Design and execute key strategic/ cross-functional projects.
Support the Country Director by:
• Act on behalf of the Country Director and/or represent myAgro in meetings with the government, donors and other key stakeholders.
• Step in on an interim or temporary basis to manage/ provide oversight of other country teams (Sales, HR etc) as directed by the Country Director.
• Delegated authority to act as Country Director in the temporary absence of the Country Director, as directed by the Chief Operating Officer.
• Build a cohesive team where team members work together effectively across departments.
• Develop the capacity of the team, deepen understanding of their roles and assist with career development.
• Assist team members with information, tools and resources to improve performance & reach objectives.
• Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on ones and performance reviews.
• Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
• Hire, orient and lead team members as necessary.
Qualifications, Skills, and Requirements
• Minimum of 5 years with P&L responsibility, leading an operations team (Finance, Logistics, etc).
• Demonstrated deep understanding of the operations of all operational functions within an organization (HR, Product, IT, Sales etc).
• Experience in managing teams across multiple countries would be advantageous.
• West Africa experience, preferably in the NGO/ Agriculture space.
• Strategic thinker, able to see the big picture, make clear choices and create from scratch.
• Entrepreneurial spirit, not afraid to get hands dirty and stuck into the details of execution
• High drive for results, comfortable with accountability for challenging targets and able to problem solve to meet targets in spite of challenges.
• Strong communication skills both verbal and written
• Commercially savvy understands the P&L and levers used to influence it.
• Agile, can learn on the job and comfortable with experimentation and adaptation to changing market conditions
• Comfortable with ambiguity and can make sound decisions without access to detailed data, analysis or information.
• Self aware and open to feedback and continuous learning.
• Fluent in French and English
myAgro provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, sexual orientation, marital/parental status, national origin, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, and genetics.
myAgro complies with all applicable federal, provincial and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.