Researcher (West and Central Africa)
Nom de l’entreprise : Amnesty International
Lieu de l’entreprise : Dakar, Dakar, Sénégal
As one of Amnesty International's experts on West and Central Africa, to lead on the development and implementation of research and campaigning strategies to deliver impact in relation to agreed priorities, providing research expertise, research management, political judgment and analytical, communication and representational skills.
• To lead on the development and implementation of research and campaigning strategies to deliver impact in relation to agreed priorities on West and Central Africa; and to lead on designing specific projects and producing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating plans for both these and initiatives originated by others;
• To monitor, investigate and analyze human rights-related developments in order to provide timely and accurate assessments on the human rights situation;
• To organize, take part in and conduct, where agreed, field research and other missions, leading specifically on information-gathering, fact-finding, and assessment of human rights concerns;
• To represent Amnesty International to external stakeholders, including in governmental, inter-governmental and various public forums, as well as to all forms of news media, civil society organizations and political, economic and other actors;
• To develop and maintain confidential contacts and partners - such as human rights activists, UN agencies and governmental representatives - to optimize information gathering and the implementation of effective action plans;
• To write reports and other materials for publication and internal use and contribute to materials produced by other programmes;
• To manage research, oversee the research work carried out by the team and others and , as appropriate, to contribute to the selection of external consultants and supervise, support, and coordinate their work;
• To contribute to the development of subregional and region-wide strategies and plans for research and campaigning and provide input into internal discussions on the Amnesty International mission, policy, organizational and other issues;
• In consultation with management, to participate in the coordination of the work of the team, including through setting priorities, preparing work plans, monitoring their progress and contributing to maintaining basic budgets;
• To contribute to the overall flexibility of resource use and provide cover for other regional office staff as agreed with management;
• To perform all necessary administrative tasks to ensure effective self-servicing, and participate in the recruitment and induction of new staff;
• To support Amnesty International's fundraising goals by contributing to the development of cases for support and funding proposals as necessary;
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Experience of undertaking research on human rights issues;
• In-depth understanding of the nature of key human rights concerns in relevant countries in the West and Central Africa region, and of political, social, legal, economic, cultural, ethnic, racial and gender issues in them;
• Ability to develop strategies to impact on human rights in the region;
• Experience of undertaking advocacy for human right's protection;
• Proven experience of writing research materials for a variety of audiences;
• Ability to understand and express ideas in English and French in a fluent, clear and concise way, both orally and in writing;
• Ability to deal in a sensitive and understanding manner with a variety of people, including survivors of human rights violations;
• Experience of working in a team and understanding of the importance of efficient communications for the coordination and effective functioning of teams;
• Experience of managing conflicting demands, meeting deadlines and adjusting priorities;
• Ability and willingness to undertake personal administrative tasks;
• Understanding of equal opportunities, cultural diversity and gender issues as well as a commitment to apply relevant policies.
Amnesty International is a global movement of more than 7 million people who campaign for a world where human rights are enjoyed by all. We reach almost every country in the world.
Our aim is simple: an end to human rights abuses. Independent, international and influential, we campaign for justice, fairness, freedom and truth wherever they're denied. And whether we're applying pressure through powerful research or direct lobbying, mass demonstrations or online campaigning, we're all inspired by hope for a better world. One where human rights are respected and protected by everyone, everywhere.
At Amnesty International, we are passionate about what we do and we are proud of our achievements as a movement. To compensate our employees for the critical work they do, we reward them through a combination of an attractive and sector competitive salary and benefits package, high levels of engagement and involvement, and a commitment to employee development.
WHAT WE HOPE YOU WILL DO NEXT
If you are talented, passionate about human rights and want to use your skills, knowledge and experience to change the world then we would encourage you to click 'Apply for this Role' below.
N.B. We reserve the right to close a vacancy before the closing date in the event of an overwhelming response or a change in business priorities.
• Gestion des associations et fondations