Project Manager HR information systems – temporary position (based in any msf ocba hub).
Position based in any msf-ocba hub subjected to feasibilities.
Médecins Sans Frontières is an international independent medical-humanitarian organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
MSF is a civil society initiative that brings together individuals committed to the assistance of other human beings in crisis. As such MSF is by choice an association. Each individual working with MSF does it out of conviction and is ready to uphold the values and principles of MSF.
The MSF movement is built around six operational directorates. MSF OCBA is one of those directorates. The operations are implemented by field teams and the mission coordination teams; together with the organizational units based in Barcelona and decentralized in Nairobi, Dakar and Amman. The field operations are guided and supported by 5 Operational Cells, the Emergency Unit and other departments supporting operations, including Human Resources and Projects & IT.
MSF OCBA strategic ambitions in terms of people require us to start the definition of a new roadmap for the future of HR information systems (HRIS), both at field and HQ level, focused on two key objectives:
Enabling a true global workforce that eliminates barriers Field vs. HQ, locally-hired vs. internationally mobile staff.
Enabling agency of our staff by means of equal opportunities and access to MSF information resources.
This approach should materialize through a renewed approach to our future HRIS ecosystem, focusing on quality HR services and modernizing our technological landscape, that should be implemented in the coming years as solutions currently in use are reaching their end of life.
The initial phase of this project will face the analysis of HR needs and processes in MSF OCBA and the solutions that could potentially deliver the expected benefits of the project, drawing the technological landscape for the future HR information systems, defining a preliminar project delivery strategy and delivering a complete business case that allows the organization to decide on a go-no go for a technical implementation and deployment.
In this context, the HRIS Project Manager will be initially responsible for the successful delivery of the initial phase of the project. In the case that MSF OCBA decides to go for the subsequent implementation and deployment based on the results this initial phase, the Project Manager could potentially lead and manage the full cycle project.
The HRIS Project Manager will work within the Projects & IT team, and initially s/he will be hierarchically and functionally accountable to the Projects & IT Lead. The HRIS Project Manager will report to the Project Steering Committee for project governance and key decision making, and more specifically to the MSF OCBA Human Resources Director in his role of project sponsor.
Main responsabilities, functions and tasks
Specific duties related to the initial phase
• Carry out a thorough analysis of the different HR/HCM (human capital management) market technologies, as well as potential custom or internal solutions, and lead their benchmark against OCBA HR needs and requirements, comparing them in order to provide proper understanding of the different options that could shape our future HR technological landscape.
• Manage the selection process for the solutions that will confirm the future HR technological landscape, both for field and headquarters, based on OCBA needs and more specifically of the HR Department, ensuring as well alignment with the guidelines defined by relevant Projects & IT units and specifically the Architecture & New Solutions team.
• To elaborate and deliver a complete business case for the project, along with a project delivery strategy proposal that would complement it, to support the decision making for a go/no-go to implementation/delivery.
Manage the plan and the scope of the project
• Assist in the definition of project scope and objectives, involving all relevant stakeholders and ensuring technical feasibility.
• Develop project management & execution plans and manage their implementation.
• Manage day to day work alongside the project team and ensures project targets (scope, schedule, cost, quality) are constantly monitored to ensure project delivery & success.
• Ensure that the project is delivered on-time, within scope and within budget, managing any changes to those constraints prior proper validations.
Manage the project budget and resources
• Meet budgetary objectives and makes adjustments to project constraints based on financial analysis and prior approval of the sponsor / steering group.
• Constantly monitor cost and review invoices to ensure that proper payment timings and allocation.
Manage suppliers & third parties
• Lead any tender processes linked to the project and related contracting processes, with the participation of the designated internal stakeholders and the support of different teams (PMO, Procurement, Legal, DPO, etc.), in order to count on the most suitable services and suppliers for achieving the objectives of the project.
• Ensure the appropriate execution of the administrative tasks required for the project.
• Establish and maintain relationships with third parties / vendors that participate in the project, coordinating as well joint work between internal resources and third parties/vendors for a flawless execution of the project.
Manage the project team
• Directly manage the assigned project team to ensure project objectives and stakeholders’ expectations are met.
• Work closely with other roles, such as managers, subject matter experts, and those involved with business analysis, to ensure the project objectives are aligned with other projects and with overall MSF strategic ambitions.
Manage stakeholders, communication & change
• Work with the IT Leadership and the HR Direction to understand the strategic objectives of the project and ensure, the alignment with those of the HR Department and overall for MSF OCBA social mission.
• Lead communications with the steering group, sponsorship, team members, and other stakeholders, including providing direction and vision for the success of the project.
• Closely manage relationships with the steering group, relevant stakeholders and overall OCBA staff through appropriate meetings, targeted communications, reports, expectation management, gathering and providing feedback.
• Ensure successful relationship management by building trust, satisfying concerns, seeking consensus, balancing competing and/or opposing needs, applying persuasion, negotiation, compromise, and conflict resolution skills, developing and nurturing personal and professional networks.
Manage risks, opportunities and issues
• Manage project risks to minimize their impact, and similarly manages project opportunities to maximize their potential benefit. This includes defining mitigation/maximization strategies and plans, as well as their follow up.
• Initiate, record, manage and resolve project issues, that could arise during the lifecycle of the project, and escalate when needed for appropriate decision making.
• Work with the IT leadership and the HR Direction, as well as other key stakeholders, to address political and strategic issues that may impact the project.
Manage project control & reporting
• Perform quality control on the project throughout development (planning) and monitoring project metrics to maintain the standards expected.
• Conduct project review and create detailed reports on performance and status.
Apply standard frameworks and IT overall guidelines, participate in cross project coordination, and manage project documentation
• Ensure MSF standard Project Management guidelines are followed, with the support of the PMO & IT Governance unit, though always adapting practices to ensure smooth and successful management of the project.
• Carefully observe and ensure implementation of guidelines and policies related to information security/cybersecurity and privacy compliance, establishing the required coordination mechanisms with the Information Security team (IT) and the DPO (GRC).
• Involve key areas in Projects & IT for key technology decision making, and very specially the Architecture & New Solutions area, carefully ensuring that the future HRIS landscape is fully integrated into the overall OCBA technological strategy & landscaè and optimized for efficient service provisioning and business-as-usual running mode.
With the support of the P&IT Lead, proactively interact and coordinate work with other project managers and teams, to ensure potential cross-impacts between projects is properly managed, and resources are prioritized in the best way to meet overall MSF strategic ambitions.
• The PM is responsible for all project documentation, and oversees their communication in/out., ensuring they are properly gathered and stored or archived in MSF information management systems.
• Academic background: advanced degree in computer science, engineering or business management.
• Min. 6 years’ experience working with business applications, from which at least 4 years in project management, ideally with strong experience having led the implementation of an HRIS solution.
• Demonstrable relevant knowledge on key HR concepts and processes is a must to succeed in this role.
• Managerial acumen and strong communication skills, with the ability of translating complex technical concepts into easy to understand ideas.
• Excellence in key project management disciplines: change management & transitioning, stakeholder management, communications, budget & cost management, risk management.
Relevant knowledge of some of the top market HRIS technologies (Workday, SAP, Microsoft, Oracle, Ceridian, etc.), data
• integration, cloud solutions.
• Good knowledge and experience with project management frameworks and methodologies: PMBOK, PRINCE2, agile & hybrid delivery.
• Used to work in matrix reporting environment with various stakeholders.
• Fluency in English and Spanish is required; French will be an asset.
• Field experience with MSF or other humanitarian organizations will be considered an asset, even more in the case of having played the role of HR Coordinator in an MSF mission.
• Position based in any MSF-OCBA Hub (Barcelona, MSF-Spain office delegations, Amman, Dakar or Nairobi). Final location will be subject to the employability of the preselected candidate (residency, work permit, etc.).
• Full-time job.
• Duration: 1 year with possible extension.
• Annual gross salary: HQ-4A (divided into 12 monthly payments) + secondary benefits based on the MSF-OCBA Reward Policy.
• Starting date: April 2023.