UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Based in Dakar, UNWOMEN West and Central Africa Regional office (WCARO) covers 12 countries either through Country Offices (Côte d'Ivoire, Liberia, Mali, Nigeria, Sierra Leone; Cameroon, Democratic Republic of Congo) and through programme presence (Cape Verde, Guinea-Bissau, Niger, Senegal; Central African Republic).
Under its Strategic Note 2018-2021, UN Women WCARO focuses on delivering on four interlinked programme areas underpinned by support for intergovernmental and normative processes:
Women's economic empowerment;
Peace, security and humanitarian action;
Political participation, leadership and gender-responsive governance;
Violence against women and girls.
WCARO, in its interface role, provides quality and timely policy advisory services and recommendations for programme development and advocacy in the four thematic areas
Reporting to the Regional Advisor, the Programme Associate will work with and provide support to the assigned Programme Team in the development and implementation of effective programmes consistent with UN Women rules and regulations. S/he contributes to research, financial management and programme implementation including providing necessary operational, administrative and programmatic support.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide advanced administrative and logistical support to the formulation and management of programmes
- Provide advanced administrative support and inputs in the preparation of the programme work plan, budget, and proposals on programme implementation arrangements;
- Provide technical guidance to the country offices and executing agencies on routine delivery and reporting of programme supported activities and finances;
- Support the coordination and collection of information for the audit of programmes/ projects and support implementation of audit recommendations;
- Identify sources, and gather and compile data and information for documents, guidelines, speeches and position papers.
- Provide advanced administrative support to the financial management of the Programme Unit in close collaboration with WCARO Finance team
- Support the creation of projects in Atlas, prepare budget revisions, revise project awards and status; and determine unutilized funds and the operational and financial close of a project;
- Support the monitoring of budget preparation and the finances of the programme; prepare periodic reports; finalize FACE forms;
- Support the review of financial reports; prepare non-PO vouchers for development projects;
- Support the maintenance of internal expenditures control system; post transactions in Atlas;
- Create requisitions in Atlas for development projects; register good receipts in Atlas;
- Prepare and follow up of cost-recovery bills in Atlas.
- Provide advanced administrative support to the Programme Unit in close coordination with WCARO Operations team
- Manage all logistical, administrative and financial arrangements for organization for meetings, workshops, events, and missions;
- Oversee travel arrangements for the Programme Team, including travel requisitions and claims;
- Prepare public information materials and briefing packets;
- Liaise with high level officials on administrative issues;
- Prepare and assemble briefing materials and prepare power-point and other presentations; contribute inputs to the materials;
- Lead the preparation of procurement plans for the unit and monitor their implementation;
- Prepare public information materials and briefing packets;
- Assemble briefing materials and prepare power-point and other presentations;
- Provide guidance and training to Programme Assistants, consultants, interns, etc. as needed.
- Provide administrative support to Resource Mobilization
- Support the preparation of cost-sharing and other agreements; follow up on contributions within WCARO resource mobilization efforts;
- Support the inclusion of cost-sharing agreements in DAMS;
- Organize, compile and process information from Programme donors and programme team, as inputs to various databases and documents.
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Support synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices related to programme management and finance;
- Coordinate the organization of training for the office staff and partners on programme and operations related issues.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely and accurate support to events, workshops, and missions;
Full compliance of administrative activities with UN Women rules, regulations, policies and procedures;
- Timely support to programme procurement activities;
- Timely and accurate tracking of data for management and donor purposes;
- Quality maintenance of internal systems;
- Quality background and presentation materials.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Strong knowledge of programme management;
- Ability to create, edit, synthesize and present information in clear and presentable formats;
- Ability to administer and execute administrative processes and transactions;
- Ability to provide input to business process re-engineering, elaboration and implementation of new data management systems;
- Ability to manage data, documents, correspondence and reports information and workflow;
- Excellent financial and budgeting skills;
- Excellent IT skills.
- Required Skills and Experience
- Recruitment Qualifications
- Education and certification
- Completion of secondary education required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Public Administration is an asset.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in administration or programme management/support;
- Experience working in gender equality areas is desirable
- Experience supporting programmes on Gender thematic (Eliminating Violence Against Women, Women peace and security, women economic empowerment, women political participation, Governance etc…) is desirable;
- Experience supporting Human Rights Programmes is an added advantage;
- Experience in the use of ATLAS is an asset;
- Experience in supporting a team.
- Fluency in French is required
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language, english is an asset
- Knowledge of West and Central Africa context is an asset.