Consultancy for a Joint Needs Assessment Senegal and Gambia
Action Aid Sahel Delegation has a regional mandate on migration, human mobility and protection
and operates through its members in Senegal, Gambia, Nigeria, Mali and Mauritania.
Sahel Delegation has the general objective to maximize the development potential of migration and
mitigating the risks in community of origin and transit in West Africa.
In the frame of the development of a new project proposal, Action Aid is recruiting a Consultant.
Objective 1: Coordinate and design a joint needs assessment in Senegal and Gambia (target
locations to be confirmed).
- Design participative tools on qualitative and quantitative data collection (i.e., FGDs, KIIs, Household Questionnaires)
- Assess the needs in the target areas and in the main sectors: food security, protection, education, nutrition, GBV, employment (sectors to be confirmed)
- identify the needs of the local population, refugees, returnees and IDPs
- assess the levels of response already provided by other development and government actors
and identify possible gaps in service provision
- evaluate perceptions of existing services, and identify related barriers on utilization and access;
- supervise data collection and support the initial training of enumerators on tools and
methodology in coordination with M&E and project teams from Action Aid Senegal and Gambia.
The assessment should put emphasis on Gender and Women’s right.
Objective 2: Aggregate and analyze quantitative and qualitative data collected during the Needs
Assessment to enable the project define its baseline.
Objective 3: Submit a final report and design a baseline survey.
Objective 4: Support the team on proposal writing ensuring the harmonization of the needs’
assessment with the response strategy and activities.
Duration of the consultancy: one month starting indicatively from 25th January 2021.
- Advanced university degree in Sociology, Social Sciences, Economics, International
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in delivering needs assessments in the following sectors:
agriculture, livelihoods, entrepreneurship, climate change, capacity building
- Knowledgeable of Senegal and Gambia contexts
- Evidence of experience on HRBA (Human Rights Based Approach) in programming and on
the principles of Gender Equality
- Hands-on experience in organizational or institutional capacity building; development project
formulation and coordination
- Experience in research and policy-level analysis, design, monitoring and evaluation of
development projects and recommendations for need assessments
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in Monitoring and Evaluation, including quantitative and
qualitative data analysis
- Demonstrable experience undertaking similar consultancies for international development
- Demonstrated strong analytical and problem-solving skills required
- Demonstrated ability in office software packages, experience in handling advanced
programmes for data analysis
- Fluent in English and French
- Excellent writings skills.
The consultant shall use his/her own tools.
The selected consultant will sign a contract with Action Aid Italy for the purpose of this consultancy.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until a suitable consultant has been identified.
Latest deadline to submit an application: 22nd January 2021
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to apply by sending a CV detailing competency, 3
references and salary expectations. Applications electronically to mail address using
the subject line “Consultancy Needs Assessment”
Please note that only the successful applicant will be contacted.