Urban Health Deputy Chief of Party/Technical Director
Chief of Party
JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc. (JSI) is a public health management consulting and research organization dedicated to improving the health of individuals and communities throughout the world.This job is contingent on JSI being awardedthe agreement to implementthe U.S. Agency for International Development Senegal Health, Population, and Nutrition (HPN) Component 3: Urban Health under the Improving Health Status and Human Capital in Senegal Annual Program Statement (APS). Component 3, Urban Health, seeks to improve Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn, Child and Adolescent Health, Family Planning, Nutrition, the prevention and treatment of Malaria (RMNCAH/FP/NUT, M), and water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) activities in the most vulnerable districts of the Dakar Region. Impactful interventions are expected to leverage private sector resources and services, improve MOH’s capacity to utilize and oversee private providers, and develop cross-sectoral interventions that tackle root causes of health disparities in urban areas. Anticipated budget is $10 million to $12.5 million dollars over a five-year period.
The Deputy Chief of Party/Technical Director will provide overall leadership for all technical activities related to the development and implementation of activities to strengthen the urban healthcare system and produce results. He/She will ensure approaches are tailored to the urban context and meet Component 3 expected outcomes for urban health. The DCOP will support the COP in managing the technical, administrative and financial inputs required to achieve project objectives in an effective manner. He/she will ensure that the program functions are aligned with both the technical priorities of the Government of Senegal, and with USAID and USG regulations. Together the DCOP and COP will be responsible for the supervision of project staff and oversee the implementation and evaluation of all activities supported by the project. The Deputy Chief of Party exhibits leadership and management qualities and the ability to develop and maintain professional relationships with government counterparts, local entities in both public and private sectors and community institutions.
Should JSI be the successful bidder, this will be a full-time position based in Dakar, Senegal. The Deputy Chief of Party will report to the Chief of Party.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Assist the COP in providing the overall management and strategic vision for Component 3 – Urban Health. Oversee development and updating of annual work plans and reporting requirements;
• Assist the COP in planning, budgeting and monitoring program activities to ensure that all activities are properly and timely performed and that outputs are accomplished and delivered according to the agreed work plan;
• Provide project support to PTA development process and ensure collaboration with non-governmental and private sector partners;
• Oversee technical and operational aspects of the program to maintain compliance with USAID and JSI policies;
• Confirm that all technical areas of the project and funding streams are integrated and maximize the use of available resources of the project;
• Represent the project at various technical meetings, with other cooperating agencies, senior government officials and donor agencies as required. Advise COP and other relevant project staff on how best to present urban health initiatives at various technical meetings, to vendors, with other cooperating agencies, senior government officials and donor agencies and community partners as required;
• Help prepare various routine reports to the Home Office, donors and national stakeholders and contribute to project(s) monitoring, evaluation and learning plans. Make certain technical content is accurate and reflects accomplishments, challenges, and solutions as required.
• Model effective communications, professional relationships, and coordination for timely reporting, both internally and externally;
• Work closely with COP to monitor, analyze and troubleshoot any challenges to programimplementation and resolve any human resources issues that arise;
• Collaborate with the COP and other technical staff to ensure coherence of activities across allprogram functions;
• Serve as Acting COP as required including assuming primary communications with the Home Office support team, and USAID; and
• Responsible for enforcing, promoting, and upholding JSI’s corporate culture, values, and fraud/ethics policies.
• Degree in Public Health, urban studies or urban planning, a clinical discipline, social sciences, or related advanced degree relevant to the field of international health, development or program management;
• At least five years of senior level experience in designing, implementing and managing large, complexhealth programs in Africa, preferably Senegal or West Africa;
• Experience in implementing and managing urban health programs;
• Proven expertise in conducting urban landscape assessmentsand planning, implementing, and evaluating health interventions (MCH, FP, Malaria and Nutrition) in urban settings;
• Experience with universal health coverage, and social and behavior change;
• Familiarity with USAID policies and regulations;
• Excellent strategic planning, interpersonal and communication skills with proven ability to lead and work effectively as a member of a diverse team;
• Ability to prepare and present technical information to country directors, donors and partners in French and English; and
• Able to use English language fluently and accurately on all levels and as normally pertinent to professional needs
Local applicants must not enter exclusive arrangements for employment with this program.
JSI/WEI is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, genetic information, political affiliation, or protected veteran status in any employment decisions. M/F/V/D