Internal Audit Lead
We’re making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That’s for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We’re solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don’t always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments.
In 2019, we expanded to Cote d’Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast.
Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent and that’s where you come in…..
How you’ll help us achieve it
We’re looking for a highly qualified and experienced Internal Audit lead to manage Wave Digital Finance’s internal audit function, reporting to the audit committee.
You should be able to demonstrate an acute and critical approach in planning, implementing, and managing the internal audit program to ensure the company’s operations comply with applicable laws, regulations, and industry standards.
In this role, you’ll
Audit Planning and Strategy
• Develop and execute a comprehensive internal audit plan based on the company’s objectives and risks.
• Establish a risk-based framework to identify and prioritize audit areas, considering regulatory requirements and industry best practices.
• Conduct internal audits to evaluate the effectiveness of internal controls and compliance with policies and procedures.
• Review financial, operational, and compliance processes to identify control weaknesses or areas for improvement.
• Lead and conduct thorough investigations into suspected fraud, misconduct, or irregularities within the organization.
• Prepare investigative reports, recommend corrective actions, and collaborate with law enforcement and legal authorities as necessary.
Reporting and Recommendations
Prepare detailed audit reports highlighting findings, recommendations, and action plans for management.
Communicate audit results to senior management and the Board of Directors and follow up on the implementation of recommendations.
Compliance and Regulation
• Stay updated on relevant laws, regulations, and industry standards in the WAEMU region and ensure the company’s compliance.
• Provide guidance and support for regulatory audits and examinations.
• Recommend process improvements and control enhancements to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of operations.
• Promote a culture of internal control awareness and accountability within the organization.
• Location: You’ll work from our office in Senegal and may travel to field locations.
• Work authorization in Senegal.
Our salaries are competitive and calculated using a transparent formula. We run performance reviews twice a year and award bonuses to strong. performers who have been with the company for more than 6 months.
• We pay 100% of your health care insurance premium cost for yourself and your dependents.
• We support working parents – we offer generous parental leave policies (26 weeks for mothers and 4 weeks for fathers) and subsidized childcare when you return to work.
• We help you live your fullest life now- we subsidize gym memberships and fitness classes.
• Airtime reimbursement.
• Free food and a beautiful office space
• Minimum 7 years experience in risk management, internal audit, or related fields in Mobile Money or the Financial sector.
• Expertise in internal fraud and/or compliance.
• A secondary degree in Finance, Accounting, Risk Management, Business & Economics, or a comparable field.
• Fluent in French and English.
You might be a good fit if you
• Have excellent analytical skills and a taste for in-depth technical investigation.
• Have worked for an international company or have worked internationally.
• Have a strong track record of collaborating and partnering with cross-functional teams.
• Have a strong ability to perform multiple tasks and meet deadlines in a rapidly changing environment.
• Function well under pressure and high-stress environments.
• Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth.
• Love owning projects – you’re autonomous yet know when to escalate problems.
• Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination.
• Know how to maintain confidentiality when dealing with sensitive information.
• Are able to adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions, while managing time factors.
• Are result-driven with a “Get it done” mindset.
• Have written and oral communication and presentation skills, including the ability to convince and influence a wide range of partners at all levels.
• We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D’Ivoire, Mali, Burkina Faso, Gambia, and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We’re deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
• We foster autonomy for our employees. You’ll own your projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
• We’re backed by world-class investors, including Founders Fund, Sequoia Heritage, Stripe, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and Partech Africa.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume in English.
Please add a cover letter describing your interest in Wave and the role.
Wave is an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.