The Senior System Administrator role is responsible to deliver and manage solutions on a global scale for maintaining, monitoring, and supporting endpoint management solutions. They will maintain technical standards/roadmaps and work closely with field staff to deploy. They will work on multiple projects as team leads and provide technical leadership to Systems Administrators. They perform troubleshooting for complex hardware, operating system software, and basic network problems. They will work with the Manager of Endpoint Management to help create and drive the overall strategy.
Systems Administrators and Engineers are responsible for the development and operations of secure and highly available global computing platforms. They design, install, maintain and upgrade the enterprise’s systems operating environment. They are also responsible for the ongoing reliability, performance, and support of the infrastructure. This includes monitoring systems, responding to problems, and planning for growth.
Individuals design and build the systems operating environment and infrastructure to meet business requirements. This includes servers, storage, and backup media. They monitor and optimize the performance of operating systems and applications such as Web, Windows, Linux, VMware, Active Directory, DNS, and DHCP. They maintain a secure systems environment by installing/maintaining security applications, managing access control mechanisms, and assigning user ids and passwords to authorize systems access. They also monitor automated system backup activities and execute contingency plans in case of system outages. Other responsibilities include providing operations support 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. They analyze console messages, diagnose system failures and take corrective action in order to ensure the continuity of operations. This job family provides system backup processing, manages off-site storage, and leads disaster recovery tests.
System Administrators and Engineers need good communication skills and must be able to work collaboratively with system users and other technical colleagues. Individuals work across all functional areas of the enterprise and use a strong customer service orientation to ensure that all requests and problems are resolved in a professional manner. They share their expertise and provide individual training and support to users. Systems Administrators and Engineers work with other technical staff and vendors to provide IT services to all customers.
• Leads or consults short- and long-term project planning efforts with team members, clients and other IT groups.
• Develops cost/time estimates.
• Documents discussion and agreements.
• Project plans and timelines support the achievement of desired short and long-term results.
• Works with systems engineer and Endpoint Manager to understand technical requirements for Mobile Device Management and Endpoint Management
• Systems meet technical requirements.
• Integrates solutions with other applications and platforms outside the framework.
• System solutions are integrated with other applications and platforms.
• Performs routine maintenance tasks for infrastructure systems such as backups, patch management, and hotfixes.
• Develops strategies to manage the frequency of appropriate support package/patch application.
• Monitors the health of systems and provides appropriate recommendations when required.
• Maintenance performed for assigned systems in compliance with defined procedures.
• Minimum downtime for assigned infrastructure systems.
• Coordinates and validates activities.
• Manages user’s level of access to, systems platforms (EDM and MDM) and files
• Administers the setup of new profiles, creates and updates access permissions, and maintains user accounts.
• Installs configures and maintains system hardware and software components.
• Maintains tracking and configuration documentation and plans.
• Supervising the installation of system upgrades and service packs.
• Determines if inactive accounts should be deleted.
• Users have access to systems, servers, and files.
• Infrastructure systems are maintained for optimal performance.
• Supervises the monitoring procedures and evaluates problems identified by team members.
• Ensures that capacity workload modeling and availability analysis is performed.
• Monitors system-operating capacity in terms of disk space, tape storage, memory, and CPU utilization.
• Reviews performance and control reports.
• Recommends settings changes to the operating system to improve performance and reliability.
• Develops, maintains, recommends, documents, and supports tools and backend utilities to provide capacity planning management.
• Appropriate system-operating capacity is available to meet user demand.
• Analysis and recommendations for improved capacity and performance.
• Analysis and recommendations for changes to procedures and controls for improvement of systems performance and reliability.
• Leads or provides technical direction for the planning, designing, and execution of testing efforts.
• Ensures that tests evaluate all possible impacts on the current infrastructure or application.
• Testing efforts effectively evaluate all possible impacts on current infrastructure and application.
• Recommends performance metrics.
• Analyzes and reports on operational metrics to understand performance and ensure success in process improvements.
• Continual process improvement for optimal system performance.
System job scheduling:
• Translates business and technical requirements to develop automation specifications that span more than one business area.
• Updates job schedule based on current priorities and special handling requests.
• Ensures reliability and availability of platforms.
• Schedules maintenance and repairs.
• Jobs and maintenance are scheduled to ensure platforms are reliable and available based on business and technical requirements.
• Coordinates production job processing.
• Ensures that maintenance procedures are executed.
• Updates job schedule based on current priorities and special handling requests.
• Operates computer hardware systems and related peripheral equipment.
• Monitors systems on a 24×7 schedule.
• Performs maintenance procedures.
• Validates input and output data for completeness and accuracy.
• Analyzes job processes and recommends improvements.
• Reviews historical data for trend analysis.
• Assigned computer hardware systems and related peripheral equipment are maintained to ensure minimal disruption to service.
• Analysis and recommendations for performance improvements.
• Coordinates problem resolution among team members.
• Documents, monitors, reports, and manages the resolution of systemic issues.
• Works with Systems Engineers and Architects when issues appear systemic or cannot be resolved.
• Recommends procedures and controls for problem resolution or creates temporary solutions until permanent solutions can be implemented.
• Documents problem status and resolution.
• Develops checklists and scripts for resolving routine problems.
• Issues resolved efficiently and effectively to minimize disruption to users.
• Works with IT Security, where needed, in investigations and/or audits of systems.
• Analyzes audit trails to detect systematic security violations.
• Reports security issues when appropriate.
• Ensures security requirements are adhered to.
• Systems security is maintained and issues are identified quickly.
• Adherence to security requirements.
• Administers archival activities such as installing, upgrading, configuring, scheduling, and monitoring, jobs.
• Performs data image archiving.
• Performs off-site storage procedures.
• Verifies that system backups run successfully.
• Recovery procedures are performed as required by established business continuity policies and procedures.
• Policies, procedures, and standards:
• Ensures compliance with policies, procedures, and standards.
• Compliance with established policies, procedures, and standards.
Service level agreements (SLAs):
• Monitors production, outputs, and services to ensure that SLAs, and other quality metrics, are being met.
• SLAs are met.
• Documentation/user guides:
• Writes, reviews, and/or maintains technical documentation for production environments.
• Ensures documentation is developed and maintained.
• Appropriate documentation is available for production environments.
• Supports and participates in the formal reporting of project status.
• Communication of project status.
• Provides coaching and guidance to team members.
• Knowledge transfer and guidance to team members.
• Evaluates future technologies and make recommendations.
• Understanding of future technologies and potential impact on the business and/or IT.
• Recommendations for systems solutions that support business requirements.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
• Bachelor’s degree or technical Diploma degree/certificate holder or equivalent work experience.
• Requires at least 5+ years of administering servers, desktop/laptop endpoints, and mobile devices in an enterprise environment.
• Requires at least 5+ years of experience designing, configuring, and deploying solutions to laptops/desktops, mobiles/tablets, and server endpoints.
• Typically requires 5-7 years of relevant information technology work experience.
• Willingness and ability to travel domestically and internationally, as necessary.
• Microsoft or AWS Relevant certification is an advantage.
• ITIL v3 or v4 Certified
• Effective in written and verbal communication in English.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge, and Experience
• Hands-on experience on BigFix Endpoint Lifecycle Management or equivalent to any Endpoint management solutions (BigFix, SCCM, In-tune)
• Overall experience in administration, configuration, and design of IBM MaaS360 or equivalent to Mobile Device Management solution (Android and IOS devices)
• Ability to handle different OS platforms (Windows, Linux, macOS)
• Experience with automation tools and Scripts (Batch scripting, PowerShell etc.)
• Experience working in Active Directory, Azure AD, GPO
• Knowledge or familiarity with security compliance (CIS, PCI, or ISO 27001)
• Experience in automation tools/platforms for packaging and deploying software, and security patches.
• Experience in creating custom solutions and automation for software packaging and distribution.
The position requires the ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally up to 5% of the time.