Descriptif du poste
Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their lives. At-work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, the IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC’s West Africa region which comprises country programs in Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chad, Cote D’Ivoire, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, implements programs through the arc of crisis, emergency, humanitarian and development contexts.
The IRC has adopted a Diversity, Equality & Inclusion strategy which aimed to advance Gender, Equality, Diversity, Inclusion (GEDI) and focused on (3) Pillars: Who We Are, What we Do, and What we say & how we engage. The GEDI Unit is a strategic unit and organizational change lever responsible for empowering IRC departments and entities to deliver on the DEI Strategy and the GEDI Action Plan.
The position is focused on supporting IRC GEDI unit efforts with research, coordination, logistics, presentation materials, graphic designing. The GEDI Intern will be managed by the Regional GEDI Director, based in Dakar, Senegal, who will work to building on the GEDI Intern’s individual strengths when identifying work responsibilities through the internship period.
Essential Job Functions:
• Assist in preparation and analysis of research and briefing notes
• Calendar management, including scheduling and organizing meetings/workshops when required
• Contribute to designing and implementation of initiatives, projects, or program
• Assist in preparation of relevant communications materials
• Maintain tracking system of activities of GEDI champions, and Employee Resource Groups such as Women at Work groups across the region and contribute to their visibility
• Support the updating and adaptation of training and orientation material to the regional context
• Provide administrative support and support other activities as needed
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Regional GEDI Director
Other internal contacts:
• GEDI coordinator
• Regional Team
• Country Programs Teams
• ERGs such as WaW
• GEDI groups and functional actors
• Frequent contact with GEDI team
• Required: Bachelor of Arts Degree in Gender, Development Studies, International development, Social sciences and other relevant disciplines.
• Volunteer, research, and/or professional work experience in at least one of the following areas: gender equality including - feminist movements, youth justice, antiracism, diversity, equity & inclusion
• Experience working collaboratively in a team structure in a multicultural environment is desirable.
• Experience conducting research, writing, and editing reports, creating presentations, managing data and basic statistics.
Desirable Skills and Competencies:
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills: ability to work effectively across and within a large, complex non-profit organization, both laterally and vertically, and diplomatically communicate with a variety of people in a multi-cultural environment
• Excellent organizational skills: the ability to work independently and efficiently organize the workflow of a team in a fast-paced, detail-oriented environment
• Proven attention to details: the ability to track and process multiple details simultaneously and accurately.
• Solid writing and editing skills: the ability to draft and edit professional documents and correspondence in French and English
• Strong visual skills: the ability to assist with preparation of charts and graphs in Excel and PowerPoint.
• Flexible work attitude: the ability to work productively in a team environment and independently.
• Trustworthy with an ability in maintaining confidential information.
• Strong computer skills: ability to work effectively and accurately with MS Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and to adapt to new applications.
Language Skills: Bilingual - English/French.
Working Environment: The position is based in the Dakar Regional Office, West Africa with hybrid options (office and remote work environment).