Senior Payroll Coordinator
We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account.
That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards.
Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress.
Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave.
In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire.
Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent.
And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
We’re looking for a Senior Payroll Coordinator who’s resourceful and excited about getting things done.
You'll be responsible for managing the payroll and payroll reporting as we rapidly scale our business in Senegal.
In this role, you'll:
• Coordinate the work of Senegal and Mali admin payroll assistants to make sure that all contracts, other administrative requested, insurance tasks are treated timely
• Manage payroll processing for Senegal and Mali with the payroll vendor
• Implement, maintain, and review payroll processing systems to ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll transactions including salaries, benefits, garnishments, taxes, and other deductions
• Prepare Senegal and Mali tax and social contribution returns
• Prepare all calculations in case of termination
• Coordinate the work of Senegal and Mali admin payroll assistants to make sure that all contracts, other administrative requested are treated in time
• Support Human Resources and Finance departments when necessary
• Maintain general ledger with regard to payroll transactions
• Oversee internal payroll and accounting audits on an annual basis
• Location is based primarily in Dakar with possible short-term relocation within Senegal
• Work authorization in Senegal required
• Strong proficiency in English and French
• Strong HR knowledge in the area of compensation and benefits, and an understanding of employment’s law in the role’s jurisdiction
• 5 years experience and more in a previous role, ideally for an international company
• Strong MS Excel skills
• Master degree in Finance or Human Resources
• You might be a good fit if you
• Are excessively detail-oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do
• Demonstrate tenacity and a willingness to go the distance to get something done
• Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions and cope effectively with complexity and change
• Are analytical in your approach to problems
• have the willingness to manage payroll for different countries
We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
We foster autonomy for our employees.
You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
We’re backed by world-class investors including Sequoia, Stripe, Founders Fund, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter, both written in English, describing your interest in Wave and the role.
We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer.
We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.