Emergency Program Coordinator
POSITION/TITLE: Emergency Program Coordinator
DUTY STATION: Bamako with extensive travel to support Area in northern and Central Mali
REPORTING LINE: Head of Programmes
CONTRACT: 1 year and renewable
The purpose of this post is to provide Technical and Professional support during provision of Humanitarian Aid in the event of any disasters in Mali, linking them to IR Sustainable Development Initiatives and building community resilience to disasters
To improve delivery of Humanitarian Aid after the occurrence of any disaster through design and implementation of Emergency related projects that are responsive to urgent needs of affected communities.
To promote and harness effective reduction of vulnerabilities to disasters through strengthening of community based disaster preparedness initiatives.
- To provide strategic direction on Programming for Disasters and ensure that Disaster Preparedness Manual plans are in place and responsive to prevailing disaster needs.
- To provide technical support to the Department and ensure that IR responds to any disaster in the region in a timely, effective and efficient manner in case of any disaster in Mali.
- Periodically carry out assessments/surveys and report on disaster risks and vulnerability levels of disaster prone communities.
- Assess IR Capacities to respond to any disasters and lead the process of development of Contingency Plans and budgets to address relief needs building on local coping mechanisms and priorities for disaster preparedness.
- In collaboration with Area Managers, Sustainable Development and Child Welfare Coordinator ensure that disaster affected families have free access to essential social services during the first three months of the disaster and are empowered to sustain their livelihoods/survival requirements during calamities.
- Support coordination across IR thematic/working areas and other fora to ensure promotion of synergy and linkages while minimising duplication of efforts during Emergencies.
- Support linkages with other Sector Coordinators within IR to ensure that Emergency interventions/relief supplies are designed and implemented in a manner that benefits children, women, the disabled and the elderly members of the society
- Plan, implement and update plans for initiatives that reduce community vulnerabilities and disaster risks through mitigation and capacity building activities.
- Support field teams to generate reports on Emergency interventions and are received within specific deadlines laid down by IR, IRW and other partners.
- Develop and present concept papers and proposals regarding specific identified thematic areas of interventions in close co-ordination with the Head of Programmes and other Coordinators.
- Co-ordinate with Government of Mali Disaster Preparedness bodies at National, Provincial and district levels, UN Agencies, Local and International NGOs and other official agencies for focused provision of Relief services and strengthening of disaster preparedness at community levels.
- Follow up on the provision of relief items to disaster affected communities so as to save lives and restore lost dignity while recognising their potentials to survive the calamities using Indigenous Technical Knowledge.
- Supervise and prepare weekly and monthly progress reports including case studies on Emergency specific project activities.
- Guide and be responsible for implementation, monitoring, evaluation and compile lessons learnt out of the Emergency related projects.
- Suitable experience of working in areas Natural Resource Development and Protection or any other related field plus experience in Relief and Development field with NGO sector.
- An Excellent understanding of the current Disaster Risk Reduction Strategies in Country and Internationally.
- He or She must have experience of working for a Humanitarian Organization specifically in Emergency Preparedness in developing democracies.
- Knowledge and application of Sphere Standards, Humanitarian Principles and other guiding principles during interaction with Disaster affected communities.
- Ability to work with minimum Supervision and a great team player with demonstrated motivation to achieve maximum results in a cost effective manner.
- Excellent interpersonal skills –Tact and sensitivity essential.
- Written and verbal communication skills are essential.
- Excellent time management skills required to meet tight deadlines essential and willing to work outside Official hours.
- Good analytical skills, IT skills to include Excel, Word and use of databases desirable.
- Fluency in English and local languages essential.
- Must possess solid experience of donor liaison reporting and proposal development, particularly for Emergencies.
- The Post Holder must also have strong strategic planning, contract management skills and negotiation skills.
- Ability to lead and coordinate a multi dimensionally team of Professionals within IR and partners.
- The post holder must additionally have a strong commitment to promote and preserve the purpose for which IR exists- to serve Humanity without discrimination in any way.
- Demonstrate willingness and practice to work under pressure.
- Be willing to travel around the year.
- Embrace diversity within teams and different communities.
- Be a Good team-player and promote the spirit of interdependence at all levels.
- Excellent negotiation and management skills; experience in marketing
- Good and Courteous Interpersonal skills for a healthy working environment with ability to represent IR positively to outsiders.
- Very good communication and negotiation skills
- Postgraduate degree in Development Studies, Social Sciences, Monitoring and Evaluation, etc
- Five-year (5) experience working with NGOs preferably International ones including and managing grants and budgets.
- Fluency in French and English (oral and written) including excellent writing skills
- Must be Computer literate (Word and Excel)
- Documents to be provided (date and place of deposit)
Application packages including:
- A CV.
- A covering letter.
- Certified copies of diplomas and relevant certificates.
- Names and addresses of two references.
- Criminal record (if the candidate is selected)
Applications must be sent by email to the following address ... with the mention « Recruitment of an Emergency Program Coodinator » no later than September 17, 2021 at 12:00 am.
Applications from women and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged.
Only shortlisted candidates will be called for interviews.
Applications will not be returned.
Incomplete applications will be eliminated.