This position is advertised open to internal and external candidates.
Procedures and Eligibility
Interested applicants should consult the Administrative Instruction on Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS).
Duties and Qualifications
Senior Field Security Associate
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Senior Field Security Associate provides support to all security related aspects of field operations including Staff, premises and asset security. The incumbent is supervised by a Senior Officer (FSA or Head of Office) who defines general work objectives; the incumbent completes this work independently. The incumbent maintains regular contact on a working level with UNHCR staff, UN agencies, NGOs, implementing partners and Host Government Security authorities (HGS) in the area to facilitate the operation.
The duty of the incumbent is to assist the management on security issues in the operation.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Provide assistance to the supervisor in evaluating the level of risk and assessing the existing security measures for the UNHCR staff, operations, premises, partners and persons of concern.
- Conduct regular security assessment missions to the field in coordination with UNDSS/other agencies; assist the supervisor during field missions to gather information and analyse the security situation.
- Be aware of security protocols and procedures in place, in accordance with the UNSMS policies, UNHCR Policies and the, Security Risk Management process ;
- Conduct regular check for compliance and advise management on any deficiencies.
- Monitor the physical security of UNHCR premises and reports on deficiencies
- Monitor and supervise the guard force In accordance with relevant UNSMS policies
- Conduct assessments for UNHCR personnel and Provide advice to staff on their residences;
- Contribute to the SRM process for designated areas and identify security risk management measures ensuring necessary arrangements are made for their implementation with respective units under the purview of the manager.
- Develop security plans for UNHCR operations
- Contribute to efforts to ensure the physical protection and security of refugees and other persons of concern with Protection colleagues.
- Prepare reports on security situations and incidents.
- Implement or oversee implementation of security-related projects.
- Assist in the monitoring, updating and recording of security-related events.
- Undertake or assist in the processing of administrative security issues.
- Maintain relations and cooperation with UN security management system actors, local law enforcement agencies, civil authorities and other relevant agencies.
- Provide security briefings and training to UNHCR personnel and as appropriate partner staff, on relevant country information and on other issues pertaining to the UN security management system including, inter alia, the warden system, communication notification and reporting procedures, travel planning procedures road, air and fire safety.
- Respond to staff queries on security issues and provide immediate assistance as required.
- Provide security-related advice to the manager and other staff.
- Maintain liaison and build relationships with host nation and interagency counterparts.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G7 - 4 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
Security and Safety
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Job experience in field of security risk management.
Good communication skills (written and oral).
Examples of having established networks with Host Government or other security actors from previous employment. Evidence of previous employment requiring a good level of computer literacy.
Ability to establish working network with law enforcement and other security actors.
FS-Field Security Operations
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Competencies as defined in Job Profile
proficiency in french and good knowledge of English.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to sit for an interview. A test may be administrated.
UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing or any other fees).
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted based on the information submitted during the application. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
UNHCR strongly encourages qualified female applicants to apply. UNHCR seeks to ensure that male and female employees are given equal career opportunities. UNHCR is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms gender, disability, marital or civil partnership status, race, color or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.