Terms of Reference
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is offering a Human Resources Internship within the HR unit.
UNHCR is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. We are in over 130 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions of people.
The internship will be within UNHCR’s Human Resources Unit, which sits within the Strategic Planning and Management. The HR Unit is composed by 6 colleagues and the intern will support colleagues in the Unit. As the member of the unit, the HR Intern will be involved in personnel administration and recruitment activities. In addition, s/he will have to create and manage various tracking files for the Unit.
During the internship, the candidate will get hands-on recruitment experience and work in a multicultural team with colleagues from all over the world. S/he will gain valuable experience with HR practices within UNHCR and the UN in general. The Human Resources Intern will be working under the supervision of the HR Associate and HR colleagues.
The candidate should be dynamic and proactive team player, with a strong interest in Human Resources and refugee issues, to complete a six-month internship within UNHCR’s HR team.
Essential minimum qualifications and Professional experience required:
• Be of Senegalese nationality, a national of a member state of CEDEAO, or have a work permit in Senegal,
• Be available to work full-time for the duration of the internship,
• Be a student in HR, administration or related field,
• Have excellent communication skills with strong interpersonal skills as well as be comfortable with working in an international and multicultural environment,
• Be fluent in French and have good knowledge of English, with advanced writing and editing skills,
• Have good experience using the Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, Power BI),
• Analytical Thinking,
• Innovation and Creativity,
• Technological Awareness,
• Be highly organized and have good attention to detail,
• Be able to multi-task and to priorities workload,
• Be a flexible team-player,
• Experience in data collection, analysis and presenting data.
• In order to be considered for an internship, candidates must meet the following eligibility criteria:
• Be a recent graduate (those persons who completed their studies within one year of applying) or current student in a graduate/undergraduate school programme from a university or higher education facility accredited by UNESCO,
• Have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies in a field relevant or of interest to work of the Organization,
• An individual whose father, mother, son, daughter, brother or sister is a staff member of UNHCR, including a Temporary
• Appointment holder or a member of the Affiliate Workforce, is not eligible for an internship.
Required Languages: English, French
Analytical Thinking, Creativity, Innovation
Masters of Business Administration (MBA): Human Resources Management (Required)
Administration, Human Resources
The successful candidate will be based with the team in the Dakar, Senegal. The internship is a six-month full-time role with 40 working hours per week, from Monday to Friday.The English version is considered original and authoritative, translation to other language(s) serve the purpose of advertisement of local positions where applicable but are not considered as official translationsN/AThis position doesn’t require a functional clearance.