SENIOR ENERGY ADVISOR -WEST AFRICA
We are an International Development Organization putting ingenious ideas to work so people in poverty can change their world.
We help people find solutions to some of the world’s toughest problems. Challenges made worse by catastrophic climate change and persistent gender inequality. We work with communities to develop ingenious, lasting and locally owned solutions for agriculture, water and waste management, climate resilience and clean energy. And we share what works with others, so answers that start small can grow big.
We are a global change-making group. The group consists of a UK registered charity with community projects in Africa, Asia and Latin America, an independent development publishing company and a technical consulting service. We combine these specialisms to multiply our impact and help shape a world that works better for everyone.
Practical Action’s vision is of a world that works better for everyone.
We help people find solutions to some of the world’s toughest problems, made worse by catastrophic climate change and persistent gender inequality. Our aims are to:
• Make agriculture work better for smallholder farmers, many of them women, so they can adapt to climate change and achieve a good standard of living
• Help more people harness the transformational effects of clean affordable energy and reduce avoidable deaths caused by smoke from indoor stoves and fires.
• Make cities in poorer countries cleaner, healthier places to live and work.
• Build disaster resilience into the lives of people threatened by hazards – reducing the risk of hazards and minimizing their impact on lives and livelihoods.
HOW WE WORK
We work on holistic solutions that change systems and have a framework to help us achieve our aims:
• Analyze the root causes of a poverty and vulnerability
• Define the change at scale we need to make
• Develop activities along three complementary paths: Demonstrate, Learn and Inspire.
• Demonstrate that our solutions are sustainable in the real world
• Learn by capturing evidence and adapting our approach
• Inspire wider support to multiply our impact.
Practical Action is an unconventional, multi-disciplinary change making organization
• A highly innovative community development charity operating in Africa, Asia and Latin America. Practical Action
community projects use ingenious ideas to design, test, refine and prove new ways to overcome poverty and disadvantage and then ‘open-source’ knowledge of what works so that it can be implemented at a greater scale by others.
• A world-class consulting operation that helps socially responsible business, government policy makers and other development organizations. This draws on learnings from our own development work as well as the combined brainpower of a roster of over 2,000 expert consultants. Practical Action Consulting helps to extend the reach of our influence by providing the best advice to others, whose work can make a bigger difference.
• A well-respected specialist development publisher. Practical Action Publishing brings together development practitioners, researchers and thought leaders to create publications that stimulate discussion, strengthen peoples’ capabilities and inspire sustainable change.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Practical Action West Africa is working with smallholder farmers and flood prone communities to strengthen their resilience to climate related risks through access to information and adapted knowledge services that effectively reach “the last mile”. We expect to see improvements in the management of agricultural risks and land use planning and in the effectiveness of early warning systems and disaster preparedness. We will also expect to see farmers, livestock owners, fishers and other small business owners have access to sufficient energy to produce, transform and store their products in a way which earns them higher incomes, and improves their living standards.
We deliver impact through consulting and knowledge-based work. This includes signature pieces in Benin, Mali, Togo, Burkina Faso and Senegal focused on the sectors of agriculture, energy access and climate information services.
Senior Energy Advisor is a strategic role that will be providing support to the delivery of Practical Action's energy strategy for the West Africa regional office. The role holder will lead PA energy work in the region, including consulting assignments, managing energy access projects, providing technical input to Practical Action’s projects in the region, contributing to secure new work, building the network of associates, line-managing staff and facilitating joint working with Practical Action's other regional and country offices in Africa and UK. As a member of the Practical Action global energy team the role will contribute to development of PA's energy thematic work worldwide
HOW TO APPLY
A detailed Job Profile can be accessed from Practical Action website, Click HERE https://practicalaction.org/careers/vacancies/senior-energy-advisor/
If you have the experience, skills and the ability we are looking for; please forward your application letter and updated CV/Resume (3 pages max) by email to email address clearly indicating Job title of the role you are applying for.
The application deadline is 8th June 2022
We treat all applications for employment on their merits and do not take into consideration any factors that are not relevant to the job such as disability, race, age, religion, gender, gender reassignment or sexual orientation.
Practical Action is committed to safeguarding and protecting children and vulnerable adults and as such candidates will be subject to pre-employment checks.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further process