Office Assistant / Environmental Compliance Assistant - VectorLink Senegal
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance€”as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded Vector Control Task Order 1. Task Order 1 will support the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria.
Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world. Under this contract, Abt will expand entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 24 African countries where malaria is endemic. Abt also will continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Environmental Compliance Officer, the Environmental Compliance Assistant has duties and responsibilities that include the following:
• Lead and coordinate environmental compliance efforts for all program spray activities, inlcuding the implementation and oversight of procedures for:
• Quality and safety of insecticide procurements;
• Procedures for distribution, storage, and handling of insecticides; and
• Procedures for disposal of insecticide, waste products, and package material in accordance with national and international standards.
• Assist to the routine inspection of spray activity implementaiton, safe storage, use, and disposal of insecticides.
• Training and technical assistance to IRS implementation, ITN distributions, teams and counterparts.
• Participation in routine environmental assessments, and support for the routine environmental monitoring and reporting.
• Experience with USAID and donor projects is highly desirable.
• Relevant experience in wastes management
• Demonstrated ability to work with a minimum of direction and supervision.
• Demonstrated ability to work both as a member of a team and as a team leader, with the ability to accept the inputs of other team members.
• Excellent organizational, interpersonal communication and computer skills.
• Fluency in French and English.
• (1) year of experience and high school diploma OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce.
Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.