Position summary :
AKADEMIYA2063 (A2063) was established to continue and expand the portfolio of policy research and capacity- strengthening support for implementing the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Program (CAADP). AKADEMIYA2063 overall mission is to provide data, policy analysis, and capacity-strengthening support that enables African Union member states to achieve inclusive and sustainable development and economic prosperity. AKADEMIYA2063’s programs portfolio consists of The Regional Strategic Analysis and Knowledge Support Systems (ReSAKSS), the African Growth and Development Policy (AGRODEP) Modeling Consortium, and the Malabo Montpellier Panel (MaMo Panel).
The mandate of the Department of Communication & Outreach (DCO) is to increase the external footprint and visibility of AKADEMIYA2063 by maximizing the dissemination, coverage, and impact of our research outputs, and by promoting our programs, initiatives, events and activities among policy makers, donors, the media, and the general public. AKADEMIYA2063 seeks a Digital Media Specialist to join DCO and support the implementation of the organization’s communications strategy. This is a locally recruited position to be based either at our Kigali, Rwanda Headquarters or Dakar, Senegal Regional office. Interested applicants must already have the proper authorization to work in Senegal or Rwanda.
Duties and responsibilities :
Under the direct supervision of the Director of Communications & Outreach (DCO), specific duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Social Media and Web :
Draft and implement social media campaigns to drive the visibility of AKADEMIYA2063 and its knowledge products, while growing the online community.
Day-to-day management of AKADEMIYA2063’s social media channels.
Weekly content development (engaging text mapped to appropriate visuals, blog posts, etc.) for all social media channels and websites, including timely and regular updates.
Using video editing and design software to cull engaging excerpts/soundbites from commissioned videos and livestreamed footage.
Drafting social media kits for events.
Comments section and inbox moderation, and subscriber engagement.
Monthly monitoring and reporting to track online performance.
Proposing online campaigns to align with events and international days.
Stay up to date with digital technology trends.
Communications Planning and Coordination Support :
Compile and submit design requests (picture quotes from livestreamed footage, speaker posters, etc.) for social media use.
Support document/content drafting and review for communications collateral.
Support coverage (draft posts) of meetings, events, MoU signings, etc. for social media promotion.
Support media and outreach efforts, including media pitching and media newsletters, and identifying media, and blog opportunities.
Develop weekly content schedule for all channels.
Website and social media training and management as required.
Any other duties as assigned or required.
Job requirements :
Education and training :
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Business/Marketing, International - Development, or a related field.
- Minimum three years of demonstrated professional experience in communications, content development, digital content creation/design, and social media.
- Skills, knowledge, experience and abilities
Required qualifications :
- Tech savvy, awareness of content trends that can engage audiences.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English. Proficiency in French, an asset.
- Strong writing skills with demonstrated experience developing writeups on scientific or research-centered subject matter.
- Ability to convey research information to diverse audiences in an engaging and concise manner.
- Ability to interact professionally with a diverse employee population and with all levels of staff and management.
- Highly output-focused and conscientious with a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and multitask under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Willingness to work outside normal working hours (when required) in a time-driven communication cycle.
Preferred Qualifications :
- Experience working in a globally oriented organization, ideally in a related field (agriculture, health, nutrition, science) and interacting with global/multinational colleagues.
- Working knowledge of content management systems, particularly Drupal.
- Familiarity with Adobe CC (particularly InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator) and desktop publishing tools.
- Familiarity with computerized database management software.
- Familiar with Google Analytics, AWeber, Mailchimp, WordPress, Photoshop, - Illustrator, Vimeo, SlideShare, YouTube, Google Doc, short video editing and streaming software.