IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2021, IFC committed a record $31.5 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
IFC is recruiting a Senior Country Officer who will promote and coordinate IFC's investment and advisory activities in Senegal. The role requires close interaction at a high level with the private sector, government, and international development organizations, as well as key counterparts in the World Bank Group (WBG) to develop new business and support the structuring and negotiation of deals. The position is based in Dakar and reports to the IFC Regional Director West Africa.
Duties and Accountabilities:
• In consultation with the Regional Director West Africa, develop and implement the IFC’s country strategy and business plan for integrated upstream, investment and advisory operations, including sector priorities and business targets.
• Oversee the implementation of IFC’s strategies in Senegal and the Gambia and the preparation of business plan updates as needed;
• Oversee the preparation of WBG strategy documents such as Country Strategies, Country Private Sector Diagnostics, and Country Partnership Frameworks.
• Develop and maintain a good understanding of the country and stay on top of key economic and political issues;
• Manage and develop relationships with key clients (governments and private companies) at the highest level of seniority and position IFC as the partner of choice to support high development impact projects in Senegal. Build up relationships with key stakeholders (including relevant regulators, businesses, CSOs, PE Funds, and investors).
• Work with investment, advisory, upstream and relevant WBG teams to continue to roll out the IFC 3.0 strategy and develop the project pipeline;
• Lead/coordinate the development of a client engagement strategy for existing and new clients.
• Assist in project structuring and implementation using local market intelligence;
• Help manage development partner relations to support the raising of funds for advisory projects;
• Track and oversee the preparation of visiting missions/trips to the country;
• Track the project pipeline and assist in moving transactions forward;
• Identify areas where IFC can catalyze market development through innovation based on a thorough understanding of local markets and best practice from IFC’s global experience.
• Develop market knowledge to ensure that IFC is working with the right sponsors. Take accountability for client selection, ensure the integrity of potential clients, and develop and maintain relationships with these companies to identify business opportunities considering IFC’s strategy, priorities, and products.
• In coordination with the Regional Director, develop IFC’s “brand” in Senegal and the Gambia, building on IFC’s regional brand and the overall communications strategy, engaging with local media.
• Represent and provide visibility for IFC in the country including through organizing/participating in high profile events (Senior level visits, interviews, seminars, and conferences).
• Develop and maintain strong relationships with Industry Departments to originate, process and manage a pipeline of investments, and support proactive and strategic portfolio management, to meet IFC’s objectives.
• Share accountability (with Industry Portfolio Managers) for the quality and performance of the country portfolio; work jointly with relevant managers to meet Scorecard targets in Senegal.
• Provide administrative and HR management oversight and ensure a smooth running of the IFC country office in Dakar.
• Prepare/coordinate high-quality briefs for WBG senior management.
• In coordination of the Regional Director, act as the Head of Security for the country responsible for WBG’s duty of care obligations to staff.
• Oversee the crisis management team supported by the business continuity management program offices.
• Appoint emergency wardens, security focal points and road safety focal points.
• In coordination with the Regional Director, coordinate security decisions with other affected Heads of Office across the WBG.
• Post-graduate degree, preferably in finance, business administration, management, economics, or a similar field;
• 12+ years of relevant experience, preferably in areas such as investment or commercial banking, public-private partnerships, management consulting, or operational experience in an investment and/or advisory role;
• Experience and/or a strong interest in Africa is required, and experience in the Senegal is an advantage;
• Ability to assess the viability of business opportunities and risks;
• Ability to think creatively about potential investment opportunities, and to use business development skills to translate such opportunities into bankable projects;
• Strong analytical, finance, financial modeling, credit, and transaction structuring skills is an advantage;
• Good understanding of IFC’s investment and advisory business lines, their products, how they complement each other, and how they may be leveraged to match the long-term needs of clients and open new markets;
• Track record in developing and maintaining strong high-level relationships in the private sector, government, and development institutions;
• Ability to represent IFC externally with the private sector, government, development partners, media, and other stakeholders;
• Team management experience including supervising, mentoring and training staff;
• Team player with strong leadership and influencing skills, and track record in working in a matrix structure;
• Strong client service orientation;
• Ability to resolve challenging issues;
• Excellent critical thinking, analytical and presentation skills, and ability to work with or supervise the use of data utilizing standard office software Excel, Word, PowerPoint; and,
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English is required, and French language skills are a strong advantage.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.