HR Generalist Africa
• Dakar, Sénégal
• Ressources Humaines
Wave is hiring a HR Generalist Africa.
We’re making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account.
That’s for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards.
Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress.
Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We’re solving this problem by building financial services that just
work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere.
In places where electricity, water and roads don’t always work, you can still send money with Wave.
In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments.
In August 2019, we expanded to Cote d’Ivoire.
Now, we’re enabling millions of payments a month and expanding across the continent. And that’s where you come in…
How you’ll help us achieve it
As an HR Generalist, you will be part of the People team working in close partnership with the in-country Heads of People and the global HR team acting as a key resource for internal partners across the business.
You will focus on a variety of initiatives across the employee lifecycle with a significant impact on compliance and process. You not only know the letter of the employment and labor law in francophone West Africa, but you understand its intent and how to operate in the spirit of it.
In your first few months, you’ll
• Oversee day-to-day employee relations concerns, including disability claims, policy violations, performance improvement plans, and terminations. Advise and educate managers handling complex people issues in a global context.
• Create employee handbooks in every geography where the company has at least five employees and socialize the handbooks with employees
• Manage and conduct investigations related to employee claims and provide guidance to business partners and leaders in accordance with local laws and regulations
• Support the company’s transition to a new HRIS, BambooHR
• Support the company’s mobility policies to enable the company to hire a diverse, global workforce.
• Effective management and communication of benefits and related processes: Educate all stakeholders and employees.
• Proactively build out playbooks for launch countries with a sharp eye for compliance details.
• Support the roll-out of quarterly/annual HR programs (e.g., performance reviews, employee surveys, comp planning) with an eye for compliance and fairness.
• 5+ years of previous experience handling employee relations within a startup or high-growth business, deep understanding of labor law
• Experience with and passion for supporting high growth teams
• Experience drafting and creating policy for an organization that spans multiple countries.
• Superb time management, prioritization skills, and able to meet deadlines
• Native French and full professional proficiency in English
• Bonus points if you have
• PHR or SPHR Certificate
• Experience using BambooHR
• Speaks Wolof, Fula, or Bambara
You might be a good fit if you
• Are very organized and detail-oriented – you like to roll up your sleeves and get into the nitty-gritty.
• Are driven to face tasks head-on, complete them efficiently, and move on to the next ones.
• Are eager to think outside of the box as it relates to employment law and compliance.
• Are tech-savvy and feel comfortable embracing new technologies.
• Have previously worked for a remote company and enjoy working independently.
• We’re a team of 300+ Senegalese, 100+ Ivorian and 60+ remote people who are deeply passionate about our mission of bringing great financial services to the people who need them most.
• We foster autonomy for our employees. You’ll learn to own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
• We’re backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume plus a cover letter describing your interest in Wave and the role.
We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer.
We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Closing date : 25 May 2021.