Announcement Number: DAKAR-2021-022R2
Hiring Agency: Embassy Dakar
Position Title: Development Assistance Specialist/Public Administration Specialist USAID (US EFM only)
Open Period: 07/09/2021 - 08/01/2021
Vacancy Time Zone: GMT
Series/Grade: FP - 4005 5
Salary: USD $47,619 - USD $47,619
Full-time - Full-time (40 hours per week) This position will become vacant between July and September of 2021. Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time.
Duty Location(s): 1 Vacancy in Senegal, SG
Telework Eligible: No
• Open to the public
Security Clearance Required: Public Trust - Background Investigation
Appointment Type Permanent
Appointment Type Details: Excepted, Definite Not to Exceed 5 years.
We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
The U.S. Mission in Dakar, Senegal is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Development Assistance Specialist/Public Administration Specialist USAID.
Supervisory Position: No
Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
The incumbent contributes to Mission-wide efforts to increase the capacity of local partners – in the Senegalese government and civil society organizations, both technically and operationally, to better achieve development results.
With a strong background in the public sector, including ongoing reforms, the incumbent will work in close coordination with USAID/Senegal Mission Management Team, activity managers and staff who support local partners through organizational assessments, risk mitigation plans, as well as provision of technical training and mentoring.
The incumbent will work to engage USAID/Senegal staff toward their strategic Goal: strengthen and use host country systems to increase and sustain the capabilities (Financial, Management, Organizational, Technical) of targeted Senegalese entities (all levels of Government, NGOs) to transform funds and other resources into development results (goods and services) in a timely manner.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Experience: Minimum of Five years of progressively responsible professional experience in relevant areas to public sector or civil society strengthening is required.
- A Bachelor’s degree in one these areas Public Administration, Business Administration, Agriculture, International Development, Education, Public Health, Finance, or other related is required.
Language: Level 4 for English is required. Will be tested.
Skills and Abilities:
Must possess strong negotiation, written and oral communication and interpersonal skills (required). The incumbent is required to be able to:
1) demonstrate strong analytical and writing skills;
2) present technical information in concise written and oral form;
3) coordinate programs and visits independently;
4) organize formal training for USAID staff and local government;
5) demonstrate proficiency in word processing, spreadsheets, databases and other computer applications (i.e. Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, etc.).
The candidate must also have the ability to maintain contacts at all levels with USAID partners and with stakeholders and report on their performance and concerns.
She/he must also have excellent management, interpersonal and teamwork skills.
• Proven ability to work as a member of a team and to foster teamwork is required, as is the ability to develop and maintain productive working relationships at all levels, including with USAID/USG staff and colleagues, ministerial-level officials in the Government of Senegal.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively through oral presentations and briefings, written reporting and analysis and information technology tools.
• Demonstrated ability to lead policy and/or program negotiations and dialogue with host country officials.
• Any and all above may be tested.
• All applicants under consideration will be required to pass security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO):
The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Benefits and Other Info
For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification.
A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant.
The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
How to Apply:
All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
Applicants must complete the following application process to be considered:
Follow this link to the Electronic Recruitment Application (ERA) Website at https://erajobs.state.gov/dos-era/sen/vacancysearch/searchVacancies.hms. Click on the Announcement Number DAKAR-2021-022R2 for Development Assistance Specialist/Public Administration Specialist USAID position (USEFM only). Click on “Apply to this Vacancy” in the upper left section of the announcement. Create an account or log in as necessary, and complete the application.
Upload any additional documentation that supports or addresses the requirements listed above (e.g. transcripts, degrees, etc.) into the ERA system.
Review and submit the application.
Please provide the required documentation listed below with your application:
• Proof of Education
• Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
• Passport copy
• DD-214 - Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
• SF-50 (if applicable)
Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Dakar, Senegal.