Bissa mine is a gold mining asset in Burkina Faso, a part of Nordgold company.
Bissa mine is expanding its Mining activities to a set of new open-pit satellites that require resettlement of several villages.
The Project Manager will take the key role in the resettlement projects from business case preparation to new villages construction, community resettlement and start of Mining operations.
All project related activities will be coordinated by Project Manager starting from Feasibility Study preparation and up to the start of Mining operations at the satellites and ramp up to the planned mining volume.
Team members from various departments both at Bissa and in HQ will be a part of Project Team under Project Manager governance as well as some of the consultants if required: Community Relations Team will execute most of community and authorities negotiations; Procurement Team will carry out most of contracting activities; Mining Team will perform the operational readiness.
The project will be considered successful if all Mining operations start within the approved timeline at the planned volume, project Capex doesn’t exceed budget, project progress and forecast transparently communicated, risks are properly assessed and addressed.
· Lead business case preparation at Nordgold standards
· Management of all aspects of project execution, take responsibility over the approved deliverables and timelines
· Prepare detailed project schedule, update it on weekly basis, provide transparency of the progress and challenges for the project stakeholders
· Manage project budget, update actual and forecasted costs breakdown on monthly basis. Develop and execute mitigating action plan in case of expected overspend
· Prepare regular project reports, participate in project related meetings
· Serve the permanent liaison between Community Relations, Operations, Procurement, Finance, Management Teams: ensure stable information exchange, get all the critical updates and priorities communicated
· Coordinate all counterparties involved, ensure action plan execution both by Project Team and other involved specialists from different departments and HQ
· Use Nordgold IT software for major project management activities
· Assess regularly project related risks, prepare and manage mitigating action plan
Community Relations, Resettlement and Permitting
· Coordinate Environmental Impact Study (EIS) and Resettlement Action Plan (RAP) preparation and approval
· Coordinate all communications and negotiations with communities
· Coordinate all Permitting activities, ensure its obtaining on time
· Coordinate and involve if required in communication with authorities
· Manage all communities compensations, ensure financial procedures being executed on time and within agreed parameters
· Coordinate new houses and infrastructure commissioning by communities, ensure all required parameters are addressed in advance and avoid delays at the resettlement stage
· Assist the Team in the resolution of urgencies (e.g. community crises)
· Manage communities resettlement
· Construction scope of work preparation for tender procedure
· Participation in tender, analysis of bidders proposals, assess bidders competencies
· Participation in construction contracts preparation. Control of contracts execution
· Manage payment approvals, ensure on time payments to contractors
· Lead communities buildings design preparation and approval by communities
· New villages site preparation, incl. earthworks
· Supervision of living houses construction by contractors for the new villages
· Construction supervision of whole new villages infrastructure – walls, roads, bore holes, etc.
· Community buildings construction supervision – schools, clinics, etc.
· Coordinate all construction contractors’ activities
· Manage the commissioning from Bissa site. Coordinate commissioning by communities
· Construction change requests validation
· Coordinate all Mining activities to ensure operations start within the approved timeline, e.g. Grade Control drilling, power lines movement, national roads crossing
· Ensure all Mining equipment is delivered and properly staffed by the launch date
Required skills and experience
Strong Project Management skills
Excellent organizational, presentation, interpersonal and communication skills
Civil works construction experience
Experience in resettlement projects in Africa, preferably in West Africa
Bilingual (French/English) is highly desirable
Demonstrated record of multidisciplinary team management
Proven track record of successful management of construction contractors in Africa, preferably in West Africa
Ability to work under time constraints and adhere to deadlines
Must have the desire to take initiative and work independently
Ability to interact with all level of stakeholders
Competitive package of salary, benefits and annual bonus scheme
6 weeks on - 3 weeks off rotational basis