COMMUNICATIONS AND MEMBERSHIP OFFICER – GLOBAL DISTRIBUTORS COLLECTIVE
ABOUT THE ROLE
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Communications and Membership Officer
will be a member of Practical Action’s Global Distributors Collective (GDC) team.
For the past three years, Practical Action has been hosting and building the GDC: a collective of over 160 last mile distribution companies that cumulatively reach millions of the poorest consumers in the world with beneficial products like solar lanterns, water filters and improved cookstoves. The GDC provides a collective voice for distributors to ensure their priorities are heard; drives research and innovation across the sector; facilitates the exchange of information, insight and expertise; and provides critical services that leverage economies of scale.
The GDC has recently finalised its 2022-25 strategy and will be focusing on six key areas:
•Accelerating innovation, eg. through our Innovation Challenges
•Building capacity, eg. through information exchange, formal training for managers andagents, and mentoring programmes
•Helping members access products, suppliers and services at affordable prices
•Helping members access finance and become investment-ready
•Undertaking market intelligence and research, eg. by creating a performance benchmark forthe last mile distribution sector
•Engaging with members and advocating for their interests
The Communications and Membership Officer
is an important role in the GDC team, focused on strengthening communications and member engagement activities for our growing Collective. The person in this role will liaise closely with GDC members around the world, as well as working alongside GDC colleagues in Practical Action Consulting (PAC) and with team members based in the GDC implementing partner organizations Hystra and Bopinc.
||Communications and Membership Officer – Global Distributors Collective
| Reports to
|| Communications and Impact Manager – Global Distributors Collective
|| Kenya, Nepal, Senegal, Zimbabwe. Note that the post holder would require Right to Work in the country for which they apply.
|| The salary for this role is dependent on the country of base; to find out about salary ranges please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
|| Long term / permanent (length may vary in accordance with local practice).
Work with and support the GDC Communications and Impact Manager to deliver the GDC’s communications and member engagement plan to increase the GDC’s visibility, and share key information and knowledge products with GDC members, partners and the wider sector. This includes:
• Creating and disseminating a range of GDC communications content including leading theproduction of the monthly GDC newsletter, drafting GDC member spotlights, creatingpartner engagement toolkits and report dissemination plans, etc
• Designing simple graphics for use on different communications channels, including theGDC newsletter and social media platforms, and improving the presentation of writtencontent, eg. short reports and PowerPoint presentations
• Acting as a ‘brand champion’ for the GDC, including reviewing and copyediting written andvisual content from the wider team (e.g. blogs, presentations, reports, infographics, etc) toensure consistency of the GDC brand and tone of voice across all communications outputsand channels
• Leading the day-to-day maintenance of the GDC website, including keeping existing contentup-to-date, developing new content, and helping to shape, implement and analyse GDCwebsite developments
• Coordinating GDC social media content (particularly on LinkedIn), including copywritingmessaging, scheduling posts, researching hashtags/handles, and monitoring engagementmetrics
• Supporting the design and delivery of in-person and virtual GDC engagement activitiesincluding webinars, workshops and events. This includes drafting invitations and agendas,managing the registration process, developing presentations, liaising with venues andspeakers, helping with on-the-day event delivery, and coordinating post-event activities
• Supporting the review and analysis of the performance of GDC communicationschannels/activities, and making recommendations to improve performance and engagement
• Liaising directly and independently with other stakeholders at Practical Action (e.g. thecentral Communications and Marketing team) as well as externally (e.g. web developers,graphic designers and partner organisations), to increase the impact of GDCcommunications activities.
GDC member engagement and administration (25%)
• Sourcing, tracking and disseminating resources and opportunities that are relevant for lastmile distributors
• Coordinating the GDC member on-boarding process, including liaising directly with newmembers and updating the member database/CRM and communications mailing lists
• Drafting member-specific communications, managing the GDC inbox and acting as a pointof call for ad hoc member enquiries
• Supporting in the collection of feedback from GDC members (quantitative and qualitative) tohelp us refine our interventions, including via the bi-annual GDC member survey.
This includes using platforms such as Alchemer, SurveyMonkey and Google Forms, designing surveys using question logic, developing associated member communications, and managing the end-to-end administrative process.
• Providing ad hoc administrative support to the wider GDC team, as required.
To be successful in the role, the ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate:
Experience & Knowledge
Strong previous experience of working in a communications role
Exceptional written and spoken English
Meticulous attention to detail
Exceptional proof-reading and copy-editing skills
The ability to condense complex/technical ideas, concepts or recommendations into concise and powerful communications and messaging for different audiences
Proven experience of website management, ideally using Wordpress
Creative with good design skills, e.g. through PowerPoint
Proactive, flexible and responsive, with strong interpersonal and relationship management skills and the ability to work under own initiative
Highly organised with the ability to deliver to time-pressured deadlines
Very comfortable working remotely, with limited supervision
Demonstrable interest in, and a commitment to, the Global
Distributors Collective’s mission and vision
Experience working or volunteering for a network, membership organisation, or in a customer-facing role
Experience working in the international development sector
Experience using online survey, events and communications tools/platforms (Dotdigital, SurveyMonkey, Eventbrite, Zoom, etc.)
Experience developing written and visual social media content and monitoring its performance
Experience monitoring and analysing online performance data (e.g. using Google Analytics)
Experience with InDesign and Adobe Creative Cloud packageFrench language skills
About the role
Are you a communications specialist looking for the next exciting step in your career ?
We are seeking a dynamic and motivated individual with exceptional attention to detail, and skills in creating engaging content and delivering targeted communication plans to join our award winning team!
Practical Action is an international development organisation putting ingenious ideas to work so people in poverty can change their world. For the past three years, Practical Action has been hosting and building the Global Distributors Collective (GDC): a collective of over 160 last mile distribution companies that cumulatively reach millions of the poorest consumers in the world with beneficial products like solar lanterns, water filters and improved cookstoves.
The GDC provides a collective voice for distributors to ensure their priorities are heard; drives research and innovation across the sector; facilitates the exchange of information, insight and expertise; and provides critical services that leverage economies of scale.
The GDC has recently finalised its 2022-25 strategy and will be focusing on six key areas for the next three years:
• Accelerating innovation, eg. through our Innovation Challenges
• Building capacity, eg. through information exchange, formal training for managers and agents, and mentoring programmes
• Helping members access products, suppliers and services at affordable prices
• Helping members access finance and become investment-ready
• Undertaking market intelligence and research, eg. by creating a performance benchmark for the last mile distribution sector
• Engaging with members and advocating for their interests
As the GDC Communications and Membership Officer you will play an important role in the GDC team, focused on strengthening communications and member engagement activities for our growing Collective around the world.
You will be expected to have excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to multitask, work independently and adapt in a fast-paced environment. To succeed as the GDC Communications and Membership Officer you should be creative, organised and self-motivated with a keen interest in the development sector.
Why join us ?
Highly respected in the development world, Practical Action has been at the forefront of development thinking and practice for over 50 years. Our work regularly receives awards and recognition for innovation, collaboration and, most importantly, results – as measured by lasting change in people’s lives and livelihoods.
Put simply, to join Practical Action is to join one of the world’s most innovative and influential development teams. Go for it!
Practical Action believes that having a diverse and inclusive workplace culture based on respect will enable us to be an effective organisation. We seek to create an inclusive workplace in which people are accepted as individuals, regardless of their differences and where they feel their contribution is valued. We treat all applications for employment on their merits and do not take into consideration any factors that are not relevant to the job such as disability, race, age, religion, gender, gender reassignment or sexual orientation.
Practical Action is committed to safeguarding and protecting children and vulnerable adults and as such candidates will be subject to pre-employment checks including criminal checks and terrorist financing.
Please note that should we recruit a suitable candidate before the closing date, we will close applications earlier than the specified date.
We are seeking candidates based in Kenya, Nepal, Senegal and Zimbabwe. The successful applicant must have the pre-existing right to both live and work in the country from which they will be based.
Closing date for applications: Thursday 2nd June 2022
First round of interviews to be conducted in the week commencing 27th June 2022
If needed, second round of interviews to be conducted in the week of 4th July 2022
HOW TO APPLY
If you want to work for a charity with significant people ambitions, then we would like to hear from you. To apply go to Practicalaction.org/jobs to view the full recruitment pack. Please submit a copy of your CV and a supporting statement that describes your suitability for the role
to email address.